Monday 5 July 2010

BR: Bloody Bones

Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #5) Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #5) by Laurell K. Hamilton


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
In the 5th instalment of the Anita Blake series, Anita is summoned to resurrect a whole hill of scrambled zombie mess. When she arrives, the police wants her opinion as monster expert on a slaying of a couple of teenagers.

Of course, nothing is what it seems and throw in some master vampires and fey magic and a boggle, and you get Anita in a whole lot of trouble.

It is fast paced, as we are familiar with from the other books, but this one sees a lot of growth in some characters. Anita is still the ass-kicking heroine we are used to, but finally, she's learning an important lesson: not every vampire belongs to the monsters.

We see Larry grow from shy animator to a relentless vampire killer. It's good to see that he still has compassion and isn't as pitiless as Anita, but he is getting close.

The bathroom scene I totally loved. Jean-Claude for once isn't the arrogant bastard, and he's actually... kind of cute.

The clothes thing is starting to bother me. I don't need a total description of someone's wardrobe. Hamilton is actually ruining some scenes for me because, I'm just not into white suits with lace and blouses with long sleeves that cover hands and jackets that hit mid waist. If she would have said nothing about his clothes, he would have been so much sexier in my imagination.
Okay, I admit, Larry in leather pants was kind of funny.

There are also a lot of repetitive sentences that once you notice them, start to get on your nerves. Sharp and immediate pain, anyone?

I just wish Hamilton would leave that final chapter. It doesn't add to the story, and overall feels a little anti-climactic. We spend 300 pages fighting the baddies and she closes off with, "Ah well, everyone's hurt but okay. And the lesson we learnt today children, is that not all monsters are that bad".

Overall, fun book to read, gets you on the edge of your chair, we get to see more of Anita's powers which is nice, we get to see a sensitive JC, which is nice, and Richard isn't there to play jealous alfa-werewolf, which is even better.

View all my reviews >>

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: