Wednesday 22 December 2010

Busting the Newbie Blues


Busting the Newbie Blues is an event hosted by Small Review to connect fellow YA-bloggers, and help out starting bloggers.

How to join:
  • Select the questionnaire that best applies to you (there's no "wrong" choice, so just pick whichever one you feel most comfortable answering)
  • Create a post on your blog with the questions and your answers
  • Grab the banner above or the button below to include in your post or sidebar
  • Link back to Small Review's post
  • Sign the Mr. Linky below so we can all come and visit your post!
  • Spread the word! 
My Answers: 

When did you start your blog?
I created my blog in April, but I didn't really do anything with it then, it was just to see how this blogging thing works. I started to actively blog around October, when I discovered the wonderful world of weekly memes and other blog-fun.

Why did you start your blog? 
I started my blog because I joined the site Goodreads, and there I started reviewing books. I liked this so much and a lot of people over there wrote blogs themselves that I thought, I want that too! My blog has changed quite a bit since then, at first it was just a place for me to post my reviews on and be done with it. Now I like to post about other topics too, like what books I can't wait to put my hands on and discuss books with other book-lovers.

What has been the biggest challenge you’ve faced so far? 
The biggest challenge I'm still struggling with is trying to get frequent readers. Followers, if you like. I try to post every day, and try to have at least one extensive book review up every week, but it's very hard to compete with all those other book blogs out there. They seem to get all those ARC's and requests, while we newbies are always a step behind on all of the trends. 

What do you find most discouraging about being a new blogger?
The feeling you are talking to thin air. That there is no one out there that is remotely interested in what you have to say. I'm glad that I have reached the point now where everything seems to take off, that there actually are people that respond on what I post. But especially when you just start blogging, that is the most discouraging.

What do you find most encouraging? 
When you find out there are other struggling bloggers out there. Not every blogger has the time to read and review a book a day. It is strengthening to know that you aren't the only one. Every single comment made on one of my posts makes my day. Just because someone has taken the time to read something I have put a lot of thought in. That's what makes blogging totally worth it.

What do you like best about the blogs you read? Have you tried to replicate this in your blog? 
One thing that I really like about blogs is when they write more into their reviews than "oh, this book was AWESUM". I like to know more about the book, things that stood out, how the characters were portrayed, that kind of information. I try to reflect this in my own reviews too. I will always explain what I absolutely loved about the book, or absolutely hated, and why. That way, readers can make up their own minds on if they want to read that book or not.

What do you dislike about blogs you’ve read? Do you try to avoid this? 
One thing I cannot stand is a lack of interpunction, lack of use of capital letters, and obvious spelling errors in every single sentence. I think a person that reads so much and thinks about what he or she has read, should be able to write correct English. Of course, I don't mind minor errors at all. I make those all the time! But I at least try to write in a way that is enjoyable to read...

Any advice for other new bloggers? 
Don't be discouraged. When your blog finally starts off, it is so much fun to have a blog. Try to keep in mind that it takes some time. Join in on memes and events to give your blog some more exposure, and take every feedback or comment you get at heart. 

Anything else you’d like to share about your experience? 
So far, hosting Nyx Book Reviews has been so much fun. It has opened a whole new world for me. My to be read pile has never been this big!

Is there anything you’d like to tell us about your blog?
I review mostly young-adult books, epic fantasy, paranormal romance and urban fantasy. Overall I tend to read about everything. I try to review every book I read, and my reviews are always honest reflections of my own opinion. It's to hard for my to keep up with all the trends, as most books aren't available here in the Netherlands, but I try to get my hands on new releases as soon as possible. I'm having great plans for the upcoming year. There will be more giveaways, some author interviews, more book reviews and other fun posts!

Talking about giveaways, check out my very first giveaway (international) if you haven't yet!

    3 comments:

    Small Review said...

    Thanks for participating! Reading these responses never gets old. I just love reading what you have to say :)

    I felt a lot like you did about being behind all these established bloggers who are getting ARCs, especially since I get most of my books from the library so I'm even more behind.

    Then all the reviews for Matched came up and I realized, as a blog reader, I didn't like seeing the same book reviewed over and over again. I think there is a place for new bloggers "behind" in our reading as much as there is for early ARC readers.

    We all have something to offer. :) I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us in 2011!

    Aylee said...

    Hiya! I was just browsing through all the blogs that participated in this event and found yours. Nice to have found you! I liked reading all of your answers. I felt I could relate to a lot of them actually.

    T.B. said...

    Hi fellow Newbie!

    I agree, I like extensive reviews also. I want to hear their reasons for liking, or disliking a book, just as you said. I love getting comments also, because it's so much fun to hear what everyone has to say! Great job!

    Post a Comment

    I love to hear from you!
    Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: